Saturday, September 28, 2013

Guggenheim (SSR)

After school on Tuesday, I took a little trip to the Guggenheim. It really was a short, but fascinating trip. While I was there, I saw an art installation by James Turrell. He literally turned the entire museum into an art piece.
http://www.archdaily.com/377267/frank-lloyd-wright-s-guggenheim-rotunda-to-be-temporarily-transformed-into-a-turrell-skyspace/
James Turrell is an artist who concentrates on the study of light. While you and I might not think much about  how light and color affects space, that is the focus of Turrell's artistic life. He turned the Guggenheim's already beautiful rotunda into this magical place where colors change and space disappears. There is no ceiling in his art, just spheres that merge into light. This image doesn't quite do justice to how awe-inspiring the experience was. There were other aspects to the light show that I did not have the opportunity to experience. The line for his installation was almost an hour long and I arrived at the museum an hour before it closed (after the school day ended of course!). Living in New York City supplies so many interesting opportunities to people who are interested in reaching out for them.

This trip to the museum reminded me of how much of the world I do not understand. It is easy to think about all of the things we know: about our neighborhoods, what we read in the news, what we learn in school, and all of the experiences we have in our lives. Still, there is so much to know in this world, and we won't ever know all of it. The idea that I will continue to trip upon new, unexpected, and beautiful aspects of life inspires me to keep looking for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment