Saturday, September 14, 2013

Knitting! (PB)

I started knitting one weekend, right after college, when I was bored at my aunt's house in Vermont and I haven't stopped knitting since. I love knitting for many reasons, let me show you some ways: (Shakespeare used a phrase like this!)

1. I find it really relaxing. It can be repetitive, you keep making loop after loop after loop, but that repetition creates space for my brain to drift off and think about everything and anything outside my knitting. If I'm tense while I knit, my shoulders will hurt and my hands will cramp, so it also literally forces me to relax my body. All-in-all, an hour of knitting will make me feel better about life!

2. I'm really proud of what I knit. Generally speaking (there are some rare exceptions), I make pretty things! I think they are pretty when I start and I think they're pretty when I finish. Case in point:
My current WIP - knitting speak for work in progress
This is a cardigan I've been knitting the last few weeks. It is obviously not done yet! But hopefully, you will see me wearing this to school before the weather becomes too chilly. Even though its not done, I still think it is pretty to look at. It makes me proud that I can make such pretty things with my own two hands. (It helps a lot that I start with pretty yarn!)

3. Hand knit items make for really great gifts. Not only does the recipient appreciate them, but the gifts give back to me too! I love seeing presents I've given to friends and family being worn. I get a special thrill out of seeing my father wear the scarf I knit him or my brother and sister-in-law wear the hats I knit them. In a way, this goes back to number two. The gifts make me proud. 
My friend's baby in a hat I knit

4. I love the portability (ability to move) of knitting. As long as I'm not knitting a sweater, I can take my knitting on the subway and to the airport. While everyone else is angrily looking at their clocks because the train is delayed in station, I'm happily knitting a few extra rows of my newest project. 

5. Knitting creates community. I have knitting friends and we do knitting things. It may sound dorky, but these are people I wouldn't have met without knitting. They run blogs (I guess I do now too, but they blog for their actual job), have PhDs and MDs (I know one person who has both), own stores, work with A/V and technology, and more. Without exception, I wouldn't be friends with these people if we had not met through knitting. These friendships makes me really grateful that I started this hobby!

I'm thinking about starting a learn-to-knit/knitting club at TMA. What do you think? Would anyone be interested? I can't wait to read all about your passions!

Ms. Hegeman


1 comment:

  1. Knitting is very creative skill. To me it seems hard to do but its cool that you could make hats, clothes, etc by just using yours hands, sticks and cloth. Was it hard for you to learn how to knit? What other items you knitted?

    ReplyDelete